Sunday, October 24, 2010

Total God moment today...

Sunday is our at home day. I love that our church has a Saturday night service because all of us trying to get ready with one bathroom in the morning makes us all grumpy at church. But Sunday's we spend doing laundry, playing computer games, working on homework, watching movies... all together. The rules are usually no phone calls (family calls are an exception), every body helps with the clothes, and the kids have to trade movies and computers. And in between writing responses for my online class stuff, I usually make something extravagant for dinner, or I bake.

I saw something on one of my friend's facebook pages about 'tigger tails' and my kids decided we needed to make them. (I've never been to Disneyland, but apparently tigger tails are a treat you get there. Marshmallows drizzled with caramel, dipped in orange chocolate, and then striped with dark chocolate. FABULOUS!!!!!!) I went to the store, got the ingredients and some extra things for dinner and came home.

To fighting kids. They've been nit picking at each other A LOT lately. It's expected. I mean really... Sis is nearing her teen years, Eli is learning to be forceful, and because of the economy, Matt's job change and a whole host of other things, we still live in a two bedroom apartment. We know we need more room, but it's not in the cards right now. And please don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for what we have, because I know how close we came to losing it all.

Anyway, I started making the tigger tails, and the kids kept arguing. Then I started melting the chocolate to dip the marshmallows in and it seized. And I didn't have anymore. And the kids started yelling. Matt gave me the debit card and told me to go get more chocolate, and he would handle the kids.

Well, I knew our grocery store in town (a very small QFC) only had one kind of chocolate, so I went to the Albertsons halfway between here and Redmond. And I prayed. But not for the chocolate I hoped to find at the store.

I thanked God for my home and my hubby who works so hard to provide for us. I thanked Him for my kids, who amaze me everyday with what miracles they really are, even when they can't seem to make it an hour without going at each other. I thanked God for my sister, who I'm going to miss like crazy when she goes overseas in a couple months. I thanked Him for my brother-in-law and his girlfriend and their family, because I'm so proud of them both. I thanked Him for my in-laws, because they're the only grandparent my kids have left. I wanted God to know that even though sometimes I forget to tell Him, I'm thankful for everything He has given me. (And I sometimes forget to tell you I'm thankful He gave you to me.)

And while I was in the store, I continued to list mentally list the things I was grateful for.... the pumpkins that local farmers were worried we wouldn't have this year, the two teenage girls standing outside the store collecting donations for needy families, the Starbucks and the strength He gave me to bypass it (seriously, I didn't need it, but oh boy did I want that latte`!!!!). And yes, the chocolate that I needed to make those tigger tails that Albertsons did have. I finally said amen as I got in the car to drive home. And I felt good!

And then it happened. And let me tell you.... It. Was. AMAZING!!!!

Has something every happened to you that made you KNOW God was listening and wanted you to know that all would be well, you just needed to continue to have faith? Something that reminded you of all His promises? It happened to me.

As I crossed the highway, I noticed the hill I have to go over to get home was backlit. The sun was coming out, and a sense of peace washed over me. My favorite praise song came on my iPod. And as I came around the last curve of the hill, the Tolt River Bridge ahead of me, I saw the most amazing rainbow! And it wasn't just any rainbow either. It looked like there were three of them... all stacked neatly, all proclaiming God's promises.

It was awesome! I have o other words than amazing and awesome to describe how beautiful and how peaceful and wonderful it all was to me.

I'm going to continue to be thankful for what we have. Because I know God has a plan for my family, I know He knows our needs. He told me so today. :D

SMOOCHIES YA'LL!!! May you feel His promises today, too!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Beautiful words, Charity....Don't forget to post photos of the kids on Halloween......For the first time in years I'll be staying home and handing out candy. No Harvest Festival at the church this year! Have a fun evening....Kisses to all.