Monday, May 18, 2009

Most men are from Mars... My man is a locker room!

Last night, I decided to mention to Matt a habit that has been starting to grate on my nerves that both Matt and Eli have. It has to do with the bathroom, and not the toilet seat, but rather the toilet paper (we call it tushie tissue). The boys don't seem to understand that leaving the tushie tissue trailing down into the trash can isn't the thing to do. In fact, I've seen Eli purposely pull it down so that the end is sitting on top of the garbage. To Sis and me, it's gross, and we end up wasting tushie tissue. And before you ask, I can't move the garbage can, it's in the only place it will fit without getting flooded by the shower or tripped over and spilled by people or the dog.

So I proceeded to say something to Matt, and he decided to explain to me using a Matt-ology. Matt's not from another planet or even galaxy... he's a locker room, with thousands of lockers. And I am a purse. Yeah, I looked at him like he was nuts too. So of course, he explained.

Matt's brain is like a locker room. Certain parts are open and information passes through like showers or changing areas. Like computer information, or mechanical skills. Other areas contain all these lockers where he stores his knowledge of everyday things. Once you change his pattern, he has to open those lockers and lose something. If you want him to remember to put the seat down, you can't expect him to remember to keep the tushie tissue from hitting the garbage. Doesn't matter that some of those lockers may contain useless information. All the bathroom information goes into the bathroom locker and if you want something else to go in there, you have to expect something else to go. The trick is to learn how to get them to let go of the information you deem useless. Or to decided if you can live with either the toilet seat up, the tushie tissue hitting the garbage or the toothpaste cap off and spilling toothpaste.

As I sat there staring at him like he was a weirdo, he went on to say that while men were like locker rooms, women were like purses. No matter how much we have stuffed in our brains, we always seem to either have the room, or know how to make room for more. When we reach our capacity, we either get rid of the useless information, or we upgrade to a larger purse. No, we don't get brain transplants we just add more and the purse is just bigger. 

No, not all men and women are alike and not all think alike. But usually, men and women do think differently. But for the most part.... I'm thinking he's on to something here.

Sometimes, the things Matt says just totally blow me over. Others.... just totally confuse me. Today? I'm just going to keep dealing with the tushie tissue in the trash, cause I hate the toilet seat up.

No comments: