Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My daughter is hilarious!


Yes, Elizabeth is hilarious. Well, she won't say she is, but as a parent, I find her behavior today hilarious. Let me tell you the story...

Yesterday was a very bad day in our house. Other than the obvious stress going on around here, Liz has been trying to trick Matt and I into forgetting that she's only ten. She wants more responsibility, and although giving it to her wouldn't be all that bad... she want's the level of responsibility I wouldn't be comfortable giving a 13 year old. I'm all for giving her a chance to argue her case, but whatever we decide, that's the end of it. But the issue involved parenting her younger brother and it's something that Matt and I both think we're very capable of doing. We are after all the parents. Liz however didn't agree with that and very rudely (and loudly) informed us of that. And then I saw her spelling test results for the last two weeks. 

So after sharing the tests with Matt, we informed Liz of her punishment. Grounding the rest of the day for yelling at us and writing this weeks spelling words two times plus all twelve words she missed on the last two tests. Fair? Not sure, but it was way less than what I would have gotten for yelling at my parents like that. And again, she let us know her opinion... so we added a day and took her Nintendo DS game thingy for a week..

While grounding hasn't proven to be very effective in the past, in January the kids both got those game things and Liz has a game she's been trying to figure out this week... and now she can't play. It's killing her. (Well, that's what she says anyway... it's only been a day.) I'm thinking this time the grounding just might work. Especially since Eli is out here playing his DS.

So I know none of this is funny, and it wouldn't really be all that hilarious but then I haven't gotten to the best part. :)

Today, I was on the phone with my mom's best friend Juanita and I had to cut the call short when I heard a loud crash from the kid's room. Liz had been leaning in her chair and fell back, hitting her face and pinching her fingers on the toy boxes. After the booboos were kissed better and one cleaned and bandaged, she looked at me a with the best puppy-dog-face I've ever seen and asked if she could be un-grounded.

Yes, we laughed. And I hugged her and told her that booboos weren't a good enough reason to unground her. While she stood there, being hugged, face buried in my shirt she started to get teary and all of a sudden, blurted out...

"I don't want to be grounded today, or tomorrow, or the next day, or the next, or the next, or the next, or the... By the way if you weren't counting neither was I!"

Yup, we laughed some more. And Yup, she's still grounded. 

SMOOCHIES!!!!

PS: Ms Juanita, I'm sorry I didn't call back. When we finally got all the booboos cleaned up and Matt and I stopped laughing, the corned beef was done and it was time for me to make the potatoes. But I will call back soon! I promise!!!

No comments: