Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I am soooooooooooo behind!!!

I have been feeling like something was missing out of my weekly routine and it dawned on me the other day what it was... I am such a horrible blogger! Or call it just being busy. Wait, no... I'm a horrible blogger. I'm positive there have been plenty of opportunities for me to visit ya'll and fill you in on life around the Mullins Family's Nut House. I find time to make frequent visits to facebook, I'm sure I could have taken a few moments here and there to blog, I just haven't. Well, I did a few times, but you can read about that in a minute.

For those of you who don't follow me on facebook, that's OK, I'll fill you in here and I promise I'll try harder from now on to at least post something once a week. Note, I said try. There's a saying about good intentions and all that, but we won't go there. :)

So for those of you not on facebook... I'm still in school. I've made a major change twice now, but I think I'm finally on the right course. When I first enrolled in Ashford University, I decided to pursue a B.A in History. Then I decided I didn't want to get a degree in history just to have a degree, that I wanted to do something career-like after school. There's not a lot in my area you can do with simply a B.A in History. And honestly, when I graduate with my B.A., I'm done. I'm not planning on going for my Masters degree. The employers out there will just have to love me without a Masters.

So I changed majors to B.A in Social Sciences with an Education Concentration, and a minor in History; all in preparation to one day teach history. Have you noticed how many teachers are getting laid off and the serious lack of teaching positions out there thanks to the economy? And, there isn't a large demand for history teachers around here. Then, Matt brought up the concerns he had about accumulating my student loan debt, only for me to struggle with finding a teaching position anywhere near our area. He had a point, and honestl as much as I love history, I just didn't feel like God was leading me to teach history. So I started praying for God's direction.

I have a confession. I have a hard time sitting still and listening to and for God, I really do. And I have a real bad habit of needing a direction, some kind of plan. Those two flaws of mine don't always work in my favor as a Christian. I was frustrated, because I had no idea what God wanted me to do if it wasn't teaching history. I wanted my path to be easy to find. I even told Matt and my sister that I wished God gave us all huge signs with arrows pointing to the path He wanted our lives to go, the best places to se our gifts He blessed us with, with words on the arrows that said: "This is the path I have laid for you. I know you might decide I don't know what's right for you and that you will go in another direction, but this is what I planned. It is ultimately your choice, but I thought you should know." I know that some people are blessed with the knowledge of what direction they're supposed to go, what careers they are meant for. Me? I'm not one of those people.

In the middle of one of my very inpatient days, after I repeated my request for a giant arrow and sign, Matt reminded me of something very important. He said, "Honey, that's why we have faith. God will direct your path, just like He always has. He gives us arrows, but we have to be ready to recieve them because His path might not be anything like what we think we're ready for. Just be ready for it because you have to remember... His answers come in His time." My hubby can be pretty insightful when he wants to be. Oh and.... Don't tell Matt I said this, but he was right. (Someone reading this just went to tell him, didn't they? :D)

A few days later, I was watching a TV program about the VA Health Care Administration. And through the whole program, I felt as if God was tapping me on the shoulder, pointing at the screen, going "That's it. That's what you need to learn about. This is the field I want you in." And I remember thinking to myself "Huh... That's what one of God's arrows looks like!" :)

So that's when I made my second major change, and I'm feeling pretty confident about it. Now if only my new advisor was as sure, because she thinks my last advisor didn't really understand me when I explained why I was changing my degree path from history education to one in the health care arena. I'm still doing great grade wise... I'm a 4.0 student, on the Dean's list, and I even joined the Honor Society. New concept for me I know, but I'm really liking the idea that I'm actually kind of smart. hehehe!

I mentioned before that I have tried to blog a few times since my last post. I have, but for some reason, the Flat Grammie World Tour photos I've been trying to upload forever just don't want to play nice. And when they refuse to cooperate, I get frustrated and walk away (or rather I Internet surf away, depending on how you look at it). Not sure when I'll manage to get those up, but I will keep trying.

Other than the kids being in school, the shock of Liz being a teenager and Eli being in his last elementary grade, Matt still chugging along at work, there's not much to say. OK, there probably is, but I can't think of it all. Especially since it happens to be WAY past my bedtime and I really should give up typing and go to bed!

SMOOCHES YA'LL!!!!! Love ya and goodnight!

2 comments:

Connie said...

I hope I have your permission to share in my Life Group what you said about "Gods signs". It's really cool and just want I needed to hear.

I love you all and am so happy to hear that you're following God's direction........

Connie

Daisy said...

Go for it, Connie. I think maybe that's why I couldn't sleep last night until I finished writing. :) God knew I needed to share.

Miss and love you!