Saturday, July 10, 2010

He finally took me to Leavenworth!!!!

For YEARS, people have been telling me about Leavenworth. Some do it as soon as they hear that I spent a few years in Germany growing up. Others mention it when we talk about day trips we can take. Some even mention it the second they hear my very slight southern drawl come out, and know I'm not from Washington. And Matt has been telling me since I moved here with him almost 14 years ago that he would take me this summer, yet this summer comes and goes and we don't make it there.

Today, though, I heard music to my ears! Matt finally said those beautiful, magic words...

Well Hunny, wanna go to Leavenworth today? (Yup, had to get a picture!)
It was so worth the trip. Cause I got this picture of the boys when Liz and I came out of the Kris Krindle Store. It's my favorite of all of them today, and gets a special place of honor here in the beginning. :D
It all started here, in Gold Bar. We stopped at a park and ride to have lunch. The kids thought it was cool when I told them about similar picnic lunches my family had when we would drive to North Carolina or Washington to visit family. Mom would tell Dad it was lunch time and he would pull over at the next place that had enough room for all of us to picnic safely. Sometimes we had a picnic table, sometimes we didn't. And sometimes there was a restroom and sometimes not. Just like today. And today, it was a whole lot more fun than I remember it being when I was a kid.
I don't think I've ever been on Highway 2, and so for me, it was awesome watching the Wenatchee River literally RUSH by. It wasn't rushing by just because the speed limit was 50-60 mph. There were some awesome rapids and the water was rushing over rocks and trees. It was totally cool! Sorry about the guard rails in the picture. Matt didn't take the hint to stop and let me take a few shots.
When we got into Leavenworth, after parking, we headed to the downtown area. LOOK!!!!! A tourist attraction sign with my kids! (My favorite vacation pictures to take. hehehe)
You know that old saying, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."? Yup, Matt took the camera.I took this picture because the sight of this building against the mountains reminded me of when my family visited Switzerland.
A shot of downtown Leavenworth:
My nemesis on road trips will always be mountain passes. Even though I live in the Cascade Foothills, I've never actually been to Steven's Pass, that I can remember. And after today, I know EXACTLY why my dad always called the mountains my mom called 'hers', hills. I don't think I've ever been that high up, at least not as an adult with knowledge of car crashes and accidents. And maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if Matt hadn't pointed out the cool railroad tracks on the side of the mountain before we got there. Then he came to the realization, and verbalized it, while we were on the actual road that, no it wasn't a railroad. We were on that obscenely high road on the side of the mountain that had looked like it was in the sky!

I'm usually good as a passenger, as long as the mountain is on my side of the car. Today? Not so much. On the way there, I did a lot of breathing, deep and slow, with my eyes squeezed shut. On the way home, I had a full out panic attack. I honestly do not remember taking these pictures of the view from my window. But here it is, my nemesis, Steven's Pass:


Well, there you have it. My 13 + year trip in the making. We are definitely going back one day. As soon as I forget about that pass. It was well worth it, and I can't wait to go back and eat at this one cafe we found that had the best menu outside it. I had an absolute blast! Well, except for the pass. Oh and Eli getting a crick in his neck from falling asleep all crazy like in the back seat. Remind me next time to bring anti-anxiety meds, a blindfold, and a pillow for Eli. Other than that, we're good! :D

Love ya and SMOOCHIES YA'LL!!!!

No comments: