Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sleep interruptions...

I can remember being in high school, not being able to sleep and walking into the kitchen to find my Mama still up, no matter the time. She would always be sitting there at the kitchen table doing something with her hands and the head phones on listening to her latest selection from 'Books on Tape'. Or she would be doing a Bible research on some subject that interested her but that she couldn't find a study book at the bookstore. But no matter how late it was or what was going on in the book she was listening too, she would get one look at my face, stop the machine, take the headphones off, or set aside whatever study she was working on and Mama would listen.

Sometimes that listening? It would be both of us just staring at something on the table, a dish in the sink, the clock or the phone on the wall. Other times, it would be her just watching my face and the emotions that would cross it. And it always amazed me those times that she would look at my face, smile and say, "Wanna know what I think?" and then proceed to make complete sense of the mess that was going on in my head without me ever having to say a word. 

About an hour or so ago, I found myself tossing and turning, worrying over a ton of little details, that even though each one is small, add them all together and it's a rather daunting list of little details. So I got up and went into my kitchen and when I looked at our dinning table, I was reminded of those late night conversations with Mama. It's moments like this that I really miss my Mama. I can imagine that even though it's 2:45 in the morning, that if I were at home and I walked into her kitchen, she would be there to look at my face and tell me what to do. But you know what? I don't have to imagine what her final piece of advice would be. It would be the same as it always was.

"You know Chersie Honey... when you can't sleep, take a moment to read God's word. Then take another moment to pray and give Him whatever problems you're dealing with. And then, listen. Just listen. Because sometimes, when we don't spend the time with God that He wants or we try to fix all our problems without His help, He finds a way to get that one on one time we need with Him... even if it means interrupting our sleep."

And she would have, as usual, been right. 

SMOOCHIES YA'LL... and ni night :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Charity....You always seem to know what I need. Thanks for being faithful to your writing....no matter what the time of day!!! :0)
Connie