Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's on your Bucket List?

No pictures today, but not because I don't have them... I can't seem to find my card reader. (I don't have a set up on my computer for one, I have and external one.) Anyway...

A while back, Matt and I were channel surfing one night and came across the movie with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List. I decided to watch it, and Matt, who isn't into dramas, was sort of half heartedly paying attention. I'm not sure at what point the movie caught his attention fully, but before it was over, Matt had moved from his computer to the couch with me. 

Remembering me mentioning once about how when I pick something on TV that makes Matt aware of his sensitive side, I get 'fired' for it? Well, this movie really touched him and I got fired a few times. I will say that for the last few months, since we saw that movie, Matt has been paying more attention to what he has wanted to do and hasn't. It's been kinda cool.

So I started thinking about some of the things that are on my own Bucket List....

1) Take my family to Germany. I've been, but Matt and the kids haven't and I would love to take them to see the places I found joy in while living there.

2) Go to Scotland and Ireland. We didn't make it that direction, but those are to of my top 3 places to visit before I die. (Yes I know, not the same country, but if I ever make it to one, I plan on going to both.)

3) Go to Hawaii and the Arizona Memorial. I'm big into history, and especially American history. (It's the last of my top three vacation dreams.)

4) Got to at least 1/2 the things in this book: 1000 Places to See Before You Die.

5) Publish a book. I've been told by a couple people I should write a book. Writing the book isn't the problem... I have a whole bunch of short stories written. It's the publishing that scares me.

6) See my kids succeed in what they want to do in life.... maybe, since they are still young, I should change that to say, "See my kids decide what they want to do in life and then succeed at it."

7) Make a difference in the world... or in someone's life. I don't see myself as someone who could achieve such a monumental task as to make a difference in the world, so I'll settle for one person... preferably someone not in my family.

There's more, but I still haven't thought of all of them. That and if you look at number 4 on my list... well there are a lot of places there. I don't plan on living forever, just maybe another 50 or 60 years.

What about you? what's on your Bucket List?

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Does a Bucket List mean things you MUST do or you won't be happy? If that's the case, I don't think I have any of those. But I would really, really like to do lots more traveling. We haven't seen hardly any of the United States, even!

Daisy said...

I don't see my list as something I have to do... just a list of things I want to do before I become to old to do them... I think some people think if you make the list, you have to accomplish everything on it, but I'm not one of them.

And I think traveling more is a great thing for a list! I want Elizabeth and Eli to see so much, and sometimes I think if I don't take the time to show them now, then they won't know how important our world really is.

Thanks for sharing, Hilary!