Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009, Everyone!!!!!

It's official. It is now 2009. And my children actually stayed awake until after midnight. They are in fact, 30 minutes later, still awake. And I've made another discovery about them.

My children turn into pumpkins at 11:58 PM and 47 seconds. 

Sis started teasing Eli and Eli ran out of the room and threw a tantrum. (sigh) Eli missed the first few minutes of both the new year and the fireworks that started with his favorite song, the Star Wars theme. And I didn't get a chance to take a picture either. I'm glad I got some earlier! (I'll post those in the next few days. My camera battery died and it's still charging.)

Earlier today, we had our traditional "East Coast New Year." It's a tradition I learned and incorporated into my family from my friend, Christie's family. We live on the west coast, a convenient 3 hour time difference. It used to be that the kids went to bed after watching the ball in New York City drop live on one of the news stations. Now that they have managed to stay up to see the Space Needle surrounded in fireworks, we continue to have a small celebration with the East Coast before Daddy leaves for work.

This evening, we gave our goal for the year and one thing we were grateful for. It's unanimous, we are all grateful that our family is still together and full of love. Our goals varied. Sis says she wants to work on her art and music more this year, and Eli wants to conquer his Lego Star Wars video game. We don't call them resolutions, we either call them goals or wishes. If you set a resolution, have you noticed that it's easier for you to put off?

Matt and I both set goals to do better with our finances and to spend more time doing family activities, both with the 4 of us and our extended families. I honestly think this is the first time in our marriage that our individual goals are the same. 

It's now 1:03 AM and it's been a New Year for a little over an hour. I pray that no matter what storms we are called to weather this year, they pass as swiftly and as peacefully as the storm that ushered my household in. The kids have been sleeping for at least 15 minutes.

And even though I'm late in doing this, my I take the time to close 2008 with much love and prayers for a happy adventure in 2009. Also, I want to share with you my favorite Irish Blessing:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Blessings and peace to you in the new year. May 2009 be a better year than the last and an adventurous beginning to the next.

SMOOCHIES!!!

No comments: